Social Work

The Social Worker is a member of the Ontario College of Social Worker and Social Service Workers. Their  role at the NEO Kids Children’s Treatment Centre consists of offering counselling and support services for the children, youth and families that we serve. Having a child(ren) with special needs sometimes brings significant challenges for the whole family. The Social Worker can help families navigate through the complex system of children services. The Social Worker is a member of the multidisciplinary team and offers a variety of services including the following:

  • Intake Coordination and provide help to families for navigating through children services.
  • Psychosocial assessment to determine the needs for the child and family and help access these services.
  • Short-term counselling sessions for children and families dealing with a new diagnosis.
  • The Social Worker participates in the transition plans for children who will be starting school as well as teens transitioning to adult services.
  • Parent education/discussion groups
  • Assists parents in completing paper work and applications to access services.
  • Collaboration with other community agencies to ensure that a child’s needs are being met.

Frequently asked questions

What kind of parent groups are being offered through your agency?
We have 1 group for parents:

Parent Connect is a group for parents of children who have been living with special needs for some time now. This group usually meets once per month, allowing parents to talk about challenges that they are facing. This is also a place where parents can share their stories and even provide each other with helpful information and resources.

The groups are offered when there is enough interest and participants. If interested in learning more, or to register, please contact Josée Cholette at 705-523-7120 ext. 1483.

What kind of financial support is available for my family?
Many programs exist to help families with the cost of equipment, renovation materials, as well as respite services. Some programs are based on the family’s yearly income and you must meet certain criteria to qualify. Your therapist, Service Coordinator and/or Social Worker can help you find financial assistance. The Families In Need-Directory of Services For Children With Special Needs (FINDS), which has been developed by the NEO Kids Children’s Treatment Centre, can also be a good tool to access services in the community. To view the FINDS Directory click here.